Many dog owners are looking at alternative treatments and therapies for their dogs that can be utilized in conjunction with conventional therapies without adversely affecting them. One type of therapy that falls into this category is Reiki.
When Reiki is performed it complements other medical and veterinary treatments and can be applied to anyone including your dogs and other pets in the household. The great thing about this type of treatment is that with some training anyone can learn how to perform Reiki for themselves or their pets. With the costs of pet care rising it’s no wonder that there is increased interest in this type of therapy especially for dogs.
What is Reiki?
Reiki is an ancient Japanese therapy that has been around for thousands of years. Its current form was developed by a lay Buddhist monk called Mikao Usui in the 1920s. This therapy then spread from Japan to Hawaii and then onto mainland USA and before eventually reaching Europe in the 1980s.
Reiki is not part of any religion or belief system just in case you were wondering. It is hands-on therapy and involves the Reiki practitioner laying their hands either lightly on the body or close by. This helps to change and balance the ‘energy fields within and around the body and this can help you physically, emotionally, and psychologically.
Reiki is also classified as a meditative treatment so it can help you and your canine relax thereby easing any stress and tension and contribute to improvement in your overall well-being.
During a Reiki session, there is a transfer of universal energy from the person giving the treatment (the practitioner) to the patient. The practitioner does not give you energy but instead helps channel this universal energy to you. Universal energy is invisible energy that is all around us that is interconnected and links us all together. All living things need and produce energy. This universal energy is channeled through the practitioner’s hands into the patient’s body.
As Reiki is also classified as a meditative treatment so it can help reduce stress s and anxiety in you and your dog. We can all benefit from less stress in our lives including our canines.
What Happens During & After A Reiki Session?
The person giving the Reiki session (the practitioner) uses their hands and will move them slowly over certain parts of the body or alternatively rest them on certain parts. The hands can either hover or lightly touch. Often the person receiving the reiki session will report a tingling sensation or feel either warm or cold on the area where the hands hover or touch.
It’s the same for canines too. Reiki is conducted in much the same way. If at all possible try and conduct the session in a quiet place and the fewer distractions the better.
After a Reiki session is complete people often comment that they feel in a relaxed state and can even feel tired or even sleepy. It is noted that tiredness is a sign that the body is self-healing.
9 Ways Reiki Can Help Your Dog & Other Animals
1. Reiki can help dogs to relax in stressful situations. This can occur when visiting the vet, traveling in a car, or even when your dog needs to be introduced to a new environment such as meeting the new dog groomer or taking your dog to a new place that he has never visited before.
2. Reiki can also help and support the healing of an animal post-surgery, illness, or injury
3. Reiki can help your dog with emotional or behavioral problems. These issues may arise from earlier neglect or abuse prior to dog adoption.
4. Reiki can help with the process of grieving. Often it can be overlooked that dogs can grieve when they lose a family member or fellow canine or even feline (well some dogs do like cats but not mine)
5. Reiki can work over distance. You do not need to be physically present to benefit from a Reiki session as it can be performed over long distances when you are away or on vacation.
6. Reiki can help with separation anxiety. This condition can be detrimental to your dog’s well-being as it elevates stress and this stress can help contribute to the development of illnesses. Reiki will help relieve this separation anxiety
7. Reiki can offer pain relief. It can help naturally to reduce the side effects of traditional medicines and treatments.
8. Reiki can help support either pregnant dogs or dogs that are nursing puppies.
9. Reiki can help dogs that suffer from noise phobia such as loud bangs
If you are interested in learning how to perform Reiki for family and pets then you should look into some focused tuition courses available online. Reiki is a safe and naturally complementary healing therapy that is easy to learn and simple to administer. It can also work wonderfully well with other veterinary prescribed treatments and procedures.
One Reiki online study program that caught our attention is the Reiki Home Study Course for Dogs. There is a special home study course on Reiki for Dogs and there is even a course Reiki for Dog Groomers. Dogs usually respond extremely well to Reiki healing and they can sense when a human is trying to help. Funnily enough, even the liveliest of dogs will respond to Reiki and become relaxed and calm.
This course provides simple and easy-to-follow focused tuition. It course contains a downloaded course easy-to-follow manual specifically tailored for Reiki for dogs along with Reiki for yourself and others. There are lots of color photos showing where to have the hand positions while performing Reiki. There is comprehensive information on the attunement process along with the chakras for humans and animals. At end of the course, you will receive a certification confirming that you are able to give Reiki to the First Degree. And the great bonus is that there is ongoing support provided by email.
What will you learn from this course?
1. How to channel reiki to all types of animals and species and not just canines. Although you can use it at home on your own dogs too!
2. Learn to understand the chakra systems and how energy imbalances can affect an animal
3. How and when to use hands-on reiki safely with your own pets
4. Learn how to interpret and understand animal’s body language to tailor a session to their needs.
5. Develop your reiki intuition and open up as a channel for reiki
6. Learn how to prepare for and conduct a professional animal reiki session as well as using the reiki symbols to send Reiki over distances.
7. Learn how to deepen your connection with the animals so you can communicate intuitively with them.